Posting Date: 3 February 2024
Closing Date: 2 March 2024
Job Reference Number:
Type of Employment: Temporary
Gili Lankanfushi is a private coral island in the pristine blue waters of North Male Atoll. This Eco-Luxury resort, surrounded by the gifts of nature, is a preferred employer of unique, talented and passionate individuals seeking a rewarding career in a top level luxury hospitality environment.
We invite candidates with the same passion for excellence to provide memorable experiences to our guests, while striving to reduce our environmental impact and preserve our surroundings.
We are looking for fresh graduates who want to learn the Marien Biology of the Resort
Main Learning Duties
Your main duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed to carry out the objective of this position. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Contribute to educational material and display set up in the Marine Biology Centre.
- Guide educational guest snorkeling trips on the house reef or by boat as required.
- Deliver eco-briefings and ensure that they are carried out before any marine activities.
- Accompany guests on SCUBA dives and dolphin cruises, as required.
- Create and deliver regular engaging presentations about the nature of Maldives.
- Contribute ideas for and assist in development of new and engaging activities, experiences and displays.
- Be available for guests in key resort locations and provide information as needed.
- Organize reef and beach cleaning, as well as activities for internationally celebrated eco-events at the resort and local islands
Information Sharing and Marketing:
- Contribute to promotional and educational material concerned with natural features of the resort (flora, fauna, marine life information) for newsletters, posters, etc.
- Learn to write articles for the Marine Biology blog, and maintain the blog web pages.
- Provide Sales and Marketing team with initiatives and information sharing with SharkWatch, TurtleWatch and MantaTrust for marketing purposes.
Conservation, research & environmental monitoring:
- Assist to manage the Coral Lines Project by organizing all the maintenance and monitoring activities of the Coral Lines underwater nursery, Coral Lines electronic database, and Coral Lines website.
- Collect data and conduct active research on Coral Reef Rehabilitation science within the framework of the Coral Lines project.
- Engage, contribute to, drive and develop research and conservation programs that are relevant to the North Male Atoll and Maldives
- Co-ordinate the Manta Trust and TurtleWatch projects on the resort through guest experiences, updates, marketing, and database management.
- Collect, consolidate and submit to relevant bodies, the citizen science level data from diving centre (SharkWatch, TurtleWatch, MantaTrust).
- Carry out monthly measurements at benchmark positions as part of beach monitoring
- Ensure that all injured/stressed marine and terrestrial organisms are looked after and that animal welfare issues are addressed.
- Attend conservation related stakeholder consultations, symposiums and workshops on the national level and represent Gili Lankanfushi in the conservation community.
- Highlight any other conservation issues that could be improved to the Marine Biologist and find ways to improve them for overall sustainability.
- Assist the Marine Biologist with the EarthCheck program where needed.
- Ensure that all required reports and schedules are completed to the required standard.
- Actively support and understand the Resort Mission, Vision and Core Values
- Attend meetings and training as required by the management.
- Support day-to-day implementation and monitoring of assigned environmental programs of HPL Hotels and Resorts at resort level.
- Take minutes of relevant meetings and prepare reports of field trips, workshops, seminars, and exchanges
- Help to plan and execute annual environmental activities to be carried out at resort level, in consultation with Marine Biologist and Environmental Officer
- Liaise, and maintain good public relations with different social and environmental organizations in the Maldives and abroad, and be an ambassador for all aspects of environmental activities
- Identify the environmental challenges and trends of the local community, and help tackle them by recommending solutions.
- Perform any duties as required in the absence of the Marine Biologist and Environmental Officer.
- Perform any special duties or projects as assigned by management from time to time